FAQs – Solicitor Premiums

Search for frequently asked questions on LPLC solicitor premiums. Click on the question below to view answer.

If you wish to do any work in an area other than criminal advocacy (even if a one-off matter), you need to contact the LPLC to arrange cover under the standard policy and payment of the applicable premium.  All practitioners within your practice will be subject to payment of the additional premium.

Consultants are treated as employees for the purpose of professional indemnity insurance.  The firm will receive a pro rata refund for the difference between the contribution for a principal and the contribution for an employee solicitor.  The firm will then continue to pay an employee contribution for you each year.

As a consultant you may still retain your full practising certificate, but you will need to contact the LPLC to be registered as a sole practitioner; you will also be required to pay the nominal premium applicable to a practitioner wishing to hold a full practising certificate and earning NIL fees in private practice.

If you intend to practice as a locum, you should take out a full practising certificate and apply for a reduced contribution if your estimated earnings, excluding earnings in a true temporary locum tenens situation (where you are replacing a principal or employee practitioner during temporary absence) are below $140,175 per annum.

You only get a refund if they leave to go to a firm or an organisation not insured with LPLC.

If you are not replacing the employee, it is up to you to negotiate with the employee’s new employer regarding reimbursement for the time they are with the new firm until the end of the insurance year.  In turn, you are not required to pay a further premium for any employee solicitors that you employ after the assessment date.

A reduced premium scale is available to low fee earners.  This scale is set out in the premium structure section above.  The scale is restricted to sole practitioners without employee practitioners and whose gross fees do not exceed $132,000 per annum.


Yes.  A pro-rata refund is applicable so long as you vary or surrender your practising certificate accordingly.

Yes.  Any employee who changes their status to that of a principal will need to have their insurance upgraded to principal level.  This will require the difference in the premium between an employee and a principal to be paid.

This is calculated on a pro rata basis taking into account what has already been paid as an employee, provided the employee levy has been paid by you.  The reverse applies if one of the principals retires, and is then employed as a consultant and wishes to change his or her practising certificate to an employee certificate.

Load More