Starting a practice

All legal practitioners wishing to hold a Victorian practising certificate and engage in private legal practice in Victoria (with the exception of those eligible for exemption under the Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Act (2014) are required to hold professional indemnity insurance with LPLC.

Before starting a legal practice you should:

  • ensure that you hold professional indemnity insurance; and
  • ensure that you hold the correct practising certificate.

You are required to hold a full principal or sole practitioner’s practising certificate if you wish to conduct a legal practice. You are also required to hold professional indemnity insurance as a principal.  If you are a sole practitioner you may qualify as a reduced premium payer – please read the Premiums section on the website for further information.

What is a new legal practice?

For the purposes of your professional indemnity insurance, LPLC defines a ‘new legal practice’ as:

  • a sole practitioner setting up in private practice for the first time;
  • a new partnership setting up in practice for the first time; or
  • a new incorporated legal practice that is not a successor to an existing practice.

If you fall into any of the above categories you must notify LPLC so that the new legal practice can be registered.  It may not always be necessary for you to pay additional insurance.  If you have come from an existing legal practice that has already paid your insurance as a Principal that insurance will cover you until the end of the insurance year being 30th June.

If you have any further queries in relation to commencing a new practice or varying your practising certificate you should contact Bernie Mallia or Terri Hedt.

Download the 2020-2021 application for cover